10 Facts You Should Know About Ireland
10. Halloween was derived from an Irish festival called Samhain.
9. The Irish have the 4th largest stadium in Europe. The Croke Park Stadium in Dublin is a 83,000 seater that can be used for various cultural and sporting events. The stadium is surpassed in terms of capacity only by Olympisky in Kyiv, Wembey in London and Camp Nou in Barcelona.
8. A song only needs to sell about 5,000 copies to top the Irish music charts.
7. Only two members of U2 were actually born in Ireland, namely Bono and Larry Mullen Jr.
5. There are a lot of original funny Irish expressions you should know. Among them, the most interesting ones are: ‘You’re sound’ (You’re cool), ‘I’m off my head’ (I’m intoxicated) or ‘Well!’ (Hello).
4. Dublin was founded by the Norsemen during the early Middle Ages. Apart from Dublin, other major Irish cities such as Cork or Waterford were initially founded as Norse settlements during the 9th century.
3. As of 2012, there are only 140,000 native speakers of Irish (Gaeilge) in Ireland.
2. The term ‘boycott’ comes from Irishman Captain James Boycott.
1. Ireland has the second highest amount of redheads in Europe, namely 10% of its total population (just behind Scotland).
Documentation sources and external links: